One of the hardest parts about losing weight is staying motivated. So what’s the solution when you have absolutely no motivation for weight loss? Here are a few tips to use for when you find yourself being low on motivation.
1. Find your inspiration. What will inspire you to stick to the changes that you have to make to lose the weight that you want to lose? Is it to feel better physically and/or about yourself? Is it to win the heart of someone you love? Is it to help prevent serious illness like heart disease, diabetes, or stroke? Is it to wear nicer clothes? Find your inspiration!
2. Make a plan. You are more likely to stick to your weight loss goals if you have a plan to stick to. Trying to lose weight without a plan is like trying to drive to a place you've never been without a map, GPS or any direction whatsoever. You need a plan!
3. Set realistic and attainable goals. Focus on short term goals rather than long term goals. If you want to lose 150 pounds you will be overwhelmed and likely discouraged if that's what you are always focusing on. However, if you focus on losing 4 to 5 pounds a month you will remain motivated because this is much more realistic and attainable.
4. Hire a personal trainer. If your budget allows, hire a personal trainer. A personal trainer will not only guide your work out sessions but he/she will be able to keep you on track and motivated.
5. Challenge yourself. A little competition can be good for you! Join a Spark Challenge for that extra push you need to meet your goals, as well as the support from others who are going after the same goal.
6. Reward yourself .Take a look at your small goals and each time you reach one of those goals, reward yourself. Don’t necessarily do this with food, but rather something fun. Go to the movies or a night out with your friends. Give yourself a present and buy something new. It can be clothes, shoes, a CD or DVD you've been wanting, or something for your desk or anything that you want. Celebrate in your success.
7. Exercise should not be a chore and painful. Find a fun exercise activity that you can stick to. Try dancing, spinning or just simply hiking outdoors. Listen to fast-paced music that will keep you moving while working out. Find an exercise buddy. Studies show that if you work out with somebody, you are more likely to stick to an exercise program.
8. Vary your workout. Do not stick to the same gym workout to lose weight. Treat yourself with a variety of workouts like aerobics, gym, walking, jogging, running, and more. A variety of exercises retain your interest and motivation till the end of weight loss program, and further, you work out with excitement and pleasure.
9. Eat healthy the healthier your diet, the more energy you’ll have and the more motivated you’ll be. This includes getting enough food, because food fuels workouts!
10. Stop Weighing Yourself Daily. The daily fluctuations will mess with your motivation, weigh yourself regularly. That's what successful dieters and those who manage to maintain weight loss do. Some step on the scales once a week or to. Some find once a month is enough.
11. Read about it. Immerse yourself in fitness and you’ll be much more motivated to work out. One of the best ways is to read fitness blogs so that you can follow along with other people who have the same goals as you. Get involved in the fitness forums. Subscribe to fitness websites so that you get daily motivation sent straight to your in-box.