June 22, 2018
"The No. 9 Coal Mine & Museum is located in Lansford, PA, below the Pocono Mountains. Lansford is located in the western part of Carbon County. The Mine & Museum are located near the banks of Panther Creek on 9 Dock Street, near the junction of Dock and West Ridge Streets. Lansford is part of Lehigh Valley, which is an area in Pennsylvania named after the Lehigh River. This area is sometimes known as the "coal region,'' particularly Carbon County.
The No. 9 Coal mine was opened in 1855, but its origin traces back ten years earlier. A large anthracite coal deposit called Mammoth Vein was the focus for most mining in the Lehigh Valley. Major mine systems in the Summit Hill area produced a great deal of coal from the Vein. Unfortunately, the quarry had to be abandoned due to flooding. Mining companies decided to attempt another drilling into Mammoth Vein. Between the years of 1853 and 1856, these attempts met with many difficulties, including cost. Finally, in December of 1857, the No. 9 coal mine had been driven far enough to encounter coal. The next month, the mine was contracted to produce 90,000 tons of coal per year.
Anthracite coal is a variety of coal known by its sheen. It has fewer impurities than all other types of coal, which means it has the highest carbon content. During the time of No. 9's operation, anthracite coal was the most popular fuel for heating structures in the North and East of the US.
The Mine was operated until 1972. At that time, it was the world's longest running anthracite coal mine. In 2002, the Mine was re-opened as a tourist attraction. The Mine was opened by a non-profit organization by the name of Panther Creek Valley Foundation. Their mission is to preserve the landmark as a heritage site.
Visitors to the mine ride 1,600 feet along rail into the mountain. They can examine the miner's hospital, the mule-way, and the original 900 foot elevator shaft. Also on the grounds is the "Wash Shanty,'' which includes the tools and paraphernalia that the miner's used to wash their clothes and equipment. The Museum has items such as the tools, food cans, blasting equipment, and more that belonged to the miners of No. 9.
Exhibits in the Museum also include carved pieces of coal, historical photographs, paintings, models, a replica of a miner's kitchen, and other artifacts. The gift shop sells items such as books, carved coal memorabilia, t-shirts, and miner's hats. The site also has picnic facilities and restrooms. Parking is free. The Museum and gift shop are open year round, Wednesday through Sunday, noon-4pm. The Mine is open for guided tours from May to Labor Day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. From Labor Day through October tours are only on Saturday and Sunday. Mine tours start at 11:00am and run hourly until 3:15.
Temperature within the mines averages the mid-50s. The temperature in Lansford is, on average, warmest in July, at 71 degrees. Visitors entering the mine may will to wear a light jacket or sweater due to the chill in the mines." This information came from: https://no9minemuseum.wixsite.com/museum/about-us